Literary London 2012
Organised by: The Literary London Society
4-6 July 2012
- Read literary and dramatic texts in their historical and social context and in relation to theoretical approaches to the study of the metropolis.
- Investigate the changing cultural and historical geography of London.
- Consider the social, political, and spiritual fears, hopes, and perceptions that have inspired representations of London.
- Trace different traditions of representing London and examine how the pluralism of London society is reflected in London literature.
- Celebrate the contribution London and Londoners have made to English literature and drama.
- Sport: participation, spectatorship, and sporting events including the three London Olympics
- Shopping and fashion
- Pubs and coffee houses
- Games and hobbies
- Holidays, downtime, and park-life
- Child’s play
- Reading and writing as pastimes